● Launch a range of poverty alleviation programs, including poverty alleviation by promoting the development of industries, intelligence, people's livelihoods and medical care, benefiting more than 5 million people.
● Since 2016, with a total investment of more than 60 million yuan, CNPC has funded a great number of projects in counties in Xinjiang, including the Safflower Industrial Park and food processing projects. It has contributed to a stable increase in the income of poverty-stricken people through a broad range of measures, such as land use right transfer, increasing local produce purchasing prices and project dividends, and salaries.
● It earmarked 72 million yuan to implement tourism demonstration projects to alleviate poverty in rural areas in Hanxuzhuang Village, Fan County, Henan Province and Jiangzhuang Village, Taiqian County, and Tianba Village, Xishui County, Guizhou Province.
● It organized a variety of poverty alleviation training workshops, providing training for more than 50,000 entrepreneurial leaders and grassroots officials.
● Promote female employment in poverty-stricken areas
● Through its project to help mothers return to their hometown for employment, CNPC helped more than 200 migrant women find jobs in their hometowns Details could be found at a Special Report: Women's Empowerment & Value Fulfillment
● Drinking water project
● CNPC helped accomplish a series of safe drinking water projects, providing safe drinking water to more than one million people.
● Reduce poverty through photovoltaic projects
● Supply oil and gas to impoverished areas
● CNPC helped build photovoltaic projects to reduce poverty in Hengfeng, Jiangxi Province, and Taiqian, Henan Province.
● Implemented natural gas projects for the benefit of local people in southern Xinjiang, and supplied natural gas to more than 4 million people in 5 prefectures across southern Xinjiang.
● Increase business investment, create jobs and boosted local employment, and contribute taxes
● Support industrial development in impoverished areas to boost economic growth
● From 2014 to 2018, CNPC invested a total of 224.7 billion yuan in Xinjiang, paid 234.1 billion yuan in taxes and fees to the state (77.8 billion yuan paid locally), and created more than 6,200 jobs locally.
● CNPC launched consumption projects to promote poverty alleviation. It helped deliver 2,067 products from 177 poor counties to canteens, supermarkets and gas station convenience stores, helping to sell and purchase 650 million yuan worth of agricultural products in impoverished areas.
● Build wells, roads, schools and hospitals
● Help build industrial equipment and facilities in impoverished areas
● CNPC invested 28 million yuan to build tourist roads in Hengfeng County in Jiangxi Province, village roads in Xishui County in Guizhou Province, the water plant in Fanxian County in Henan Province and some other projects, in a bid to promote development based on local characteristics.
● Built and maintained a 565-kilometer desert highway across the hinterland of Taklimakan, forming a “green desert corridor” to facilitate people's travel.
● Invested 60 million yuan to build tourist service centers, county tourist pedestrian streets and parking lots, mobile survival support facilities and other supporting facilities in Tibet's Shuanghu County, in order to boost the development of the local tourism industry and employment for herders.
● Bridge the education gap
● Launch the “Teacher Training Program” to train teachers in poverty-stricken areas.
● Financially enabled more than 11,400 senior high school students from impoverished families to continue their studies under the “Xuhang Program”.
● Invested nearly 5 million yuan in education funds in Tibet’s Shuanghu County to subsidize students from impoverished families and reward grassroots teachers devoted to education in the county.
● Help improve living standards and build wells, roads, schools and hospitals in impoverished and remote areas
● Devote to poverty alleviation by ecological protection
● Invested 22 million yuan to help build a forest of fruits trees project in Qapqal Xibe Autonomous County of Ili Kazak Autonomous Prefecture in Xinjiang, planting 10,000 mu of fruit trees and providing jobs for 220 impoverished people.
● In Golmud in Qinghai Province, we invested 30 million yuan (2017-2019) to help build the supporting facilities project for the comprehensive visitor center and service center in Changjiangyuan Village (relocation village) in Tanggula Mountain Town as part of the Sanjiangyuan Ecological Protection Project in Qinghai Province, provided surrounding residents with services such as cultural and sports activities, community building and home care, improved local tourism supporting facilities, and promoted the development of the tourism economy.
● Implement a project for the benefit of local residents in southern Xinjiang
● Implement consumption projects to promote poverty alleviation
● Since it became operational in September 2012, the project for the benefit of local residents in southern Xinjiang has completed a pipeline network of 3,028 kilometers, which can supply 3.7 million cubic meters of gas per day. This project has allowed more than 4 million residents in southern Xinjiang to shift from a “firewood era” to a “clean energy era”.
● Promote market development for local produce. We helped find market for agricultural products from impoverished areas in canteens, supermarkets and gas station convenience stores, helping to sell and purchase 650 million yuan worth of agricultural products in impoverished areas.
● Strengthen communication, coordination and cooperation with governments at all levels, poverty alleviation foundations and other partners and professional institutions, accurately identified the root causes of poverty, built platforms and channels by leveraging all advantageous sources, and achieved poverty alleviation for win-win development.
● Launch the “Xuhang Program” in partnership with the China Foundation for Poverty Alleviation.
● “Internet Plus” Poverty Alleviation: in cooperation with Alibaba and other Internet platforms, we train local entrepreneurial leaders, and build cooperation platforms to help expand market for specialty products.
● In partnerships with Beijing Normal University Education Foundation and Experimental High School Attached To Beijing Normal University, Shijia Education Group and Beijing 171 Education Group, we launch the “Teacher Training Program”.
● Support agricultural development in poverty-stricken areas by assisting in the construction of infrastructure and providing technical support and skills training.
● Funded the construction of water-saving irrigation projects in Qinghe County and Nileke County in Xinjiang, covering 1,800 hectares of arable land and benefiting 5,500 poverty-stricken people.
● Help build medical facilities, train medical staff, and improve medical hardware and software in recipient areas
● Organize on-the-spot medical services
● Participated in the “Tongzhou Project”, an urgent rescue campaign launched by the Chinese government, allocated 2 million yuan in aid funds to Hengfeng County, Jiangxi Province, to treat patients with critical illnesses such as cerebral palsy and leukemia, and paid for some drugs not covered by medical insurance for poverty-stricken patients to reduce their financial pressure.
● Earmarked 1 million yuan in Xishui County, Guizhou Province, raised more than 2 million yuan in social donations to purchase health and medical insurance for 84,872 households registered in the system, in order to prevent poverty again by illness.
● Provided assistance to build Taiqian County Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
● Carried out medical check tours, assigned medical experts to the countryside for medical aid, and distributed medicines free of charge, benefiting more than 100,000 people and training more than 2,400 grassroots medical staff in impoverished areas.
● Donated 12 vehicles as “Mother Health Express” to Shangrao City, Jiangxi Province, to provide high-quality services for local women, including health checkups, treatment of critically ill pregnant women, and education on maternal and child healthcare knowledge.
● Help build educational infrastructure such as schools
● Improve professional skills of teachers and promoted the overall optimization and improvement of educational resources in recipient areas
● We implement the “Xuhang Program” in 20 old revolutionary base areas and national-level poverty-stricken counties in 8 provinces, providing scholarship support for 11,400 impoverished senior high school students.
● We implement the “Teacher Training Program”. Under this program, we assign outstanding teachers from Beijing to other regions across China for subject exchanges, select and assign teachers in recipient areas to famous schools such as Beijing Shijia Education Group for advanced studies, and help teachers in poverty-stricken areas improve their professional skills through advanced educational concepts and teaching methods, training more than 7,700 educators.
● We granted 49.7 million yuan in CNPC Scholarships to a total of 11,047 outstanding students (including 4,207 impoverished students).
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development opens a new chapter in development and cooperation around the world. Leaving No One Behind is our commitment. All countries around the world are working hard towards this great goal. China, the world’s largest developing economy, is particularly committed to this effort, as it believes that eradicating poverty in China is a major contribution to the world for achieving of goal of global sustainable development.
As an energy company deeply rooted in China with worldwide presence, CNPC has long been devoted to poverty alleviation with an innate sense of responsibility which has long been delivered with actions. While striving to secure sustainable, inclusive, lasting and balanced economic growth through business activities, we also play an important part in exploring effective poverty alleviation programs and models, under the leadership of the Chinese government.
China National Petroleum Corporation